The Aftan Engineering, LLC team remains current in our fields through continuing education, conferences, industry journals, peer reviewed academic literature, membership in professional societies and following of professional social media groups. Here's some examples.
As licensed Professional Engineers (PE) in the Commonwealth of PA, 24 Professional Development Hours of continuing education is required every 2 years. Beyond this PE requirement, we acquire in excess of 80 additional hours of continuing education per year.
Our team members attend 2-4 conferences per year on average, many times presenting at least one paper at the conference. We have also presented Conference Posters.
- Social Ecology;
- Environmental Health;
- Plant Environmental Safety and Health;
- Drinking Water;
- Materials Handling;
- Plant Operations;
- Vision and Inspection Systems;
- Military & Aerospace;
- many more are on our break tables for daily reading.
Peer Reviewed Academic Literature
As leaders in the field, we are actively preparing manuscripts for submission to peer reviewed journals. That process includes a detailed literature review of other relevant work in the field.
Memberships in Professional Societies
Our team holds memberships in
- Pennsylvania Society of Professional Engineers Reading Chapter (PSPE);
- Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE);
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME);
- Life Cycle Initiative (LCI),
- Water Environment Foundation (WEF);
- American Water Works Association (AWWA);
- Center for Watershed Protection (CWP);
- Chesapeake Network;
- Greater Reading Chamber Alliance (GRCA); and
- Pennsylvania Water Environment Association (PWEA).
Professional Social Media Groups
- Life Cycle Assessment;
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation;
- Center for Watershed Protection Association;
- Lean Six Sigma;
- Life Cycle Initiative (UN Environment);
- SimaPro LCA Software;
- Thinkstep GaBi Software;
- Waste Management World;
- Lehigh University Entrepreneurs Network; and
- Optical Networking Group for Telecommunications.